This has been by far been my most difficult post since I began this blog just a short time ago. Almost three weeks ago Jessica of Vegan Rescue honored me by nominating my blog for the Liebster Award. It so happened that at that time my wife, and best friend, Faye, was about to undergo a radical surgery (from which she is still recovering) so I am only now able to respond. I apologize for the delay.
This honor took me completely by surprise since I am so new at this. Thank you so much, Jessica! I follow your blog faithfully with great interest.
Jessica had ten questions for me to answer, which I will attempt to do:
1. What is your favorite comfort food?
It is tempting to answer this question by naming unhealthy foods like pizza, nachos or anything with lots of cheese. But when It really comes down to dietary choices I find myself craving and choosing to include greens in my regimen. It might be salad type greens like spinach, arugula, cresses etc. or it could be cooked greens like spinach, Swiss chard or wild greens such as stinging nettle, curly dock or poke weed. Just knowing the nutritional benefits helps make these greens taste great. A dollop of mayo doesn’t hurt either!
Now that I have thought about this question I would have to say that my favorite comfort food would be a salad, the kind you would get at a salad bar with a million choices and lots of dressing.
2. What is your dream job?
It is a little late for this question since after a lifetime of working my fingers to the bone as a mason I am ready to relax with limited responsibility. I am not opposed to activity that requires a little effort as long as the word “play” is somehow involved.
3. What is your favorite way to unwind after a long week?
When I was working at a job, pizza and a couple beers on Friday evening brought the work week to and end and began the weekend. Those days of working at a job are over (forever, I hope). These days, weeks don’t necessarily have a beginning or an end. To answer the spirit of the question, pulling into the driveway of our rural home tucked in a little patch of woods is the perfect way to recover from any stressful experience. Home sweet home fixes anything and everything.
4. What inspired you to become a blogger?
A very good friend made the suggestion and pointed me in the right direction. I am ever so grateful. Can’t say enough about that.
5. If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go?
This question is easy to answer! Having grown up in India and circled the globe three times I would choose to go somewhere I have never been before. Despite all my travels I have never been south of the equator, so Australia, New Zealand, parts of Africa and South America would be obvious choices.
Of course, I would love to revisit the place of my upbringing in India. That would be a dream come true!
6. Do you have any hobbies other than blogging?
Yes, I do. I have many interests. I get great satisfaction growing at least a portion of my own food. The myriad of insect pests in the southern United States make it difficult, but any successes are rewarding, especially when produce from the garden can be preserved for future use by canning, freezing or dehydration.
One of my hobbies is doing leatherwork. I have been working with leather for the last 20 years and began offering my creations for sale on Etsy in 2011. Some will undoubtedly question what a vegetarian is doing working with leather. Now, that would be an interesting discussion, which I may address in a upcoming post on my blog.
7. What is your biggest fear?
Hmmmm… That is a tough one. I don’t fear much, but public speaking has always been difficult for me. Over the years I have become much more comfortable with speaking out in front of groups of people. In fact, when something needs to be said, I can’t hold myself back.
8. What is the best advice you would have given yourself 10 years ago?
My advice to myself would have been to keep on doing what I am doing. Carry on. Everything will be ok. It always is. Even the seemingly bad events turn out to be for the good.
9. How long have you been blogging?
I started blogging just recently (mid June) which is why it is such a surprise to be nominated for this award.
10. What is your favorite blog post?
I hope I am assuming correctly that the question is, which is my favorite of my own blog posts(?). As is typical of many artists, the most difficult person to please is myself. Of the dishes I have featured in my blog, one that stands out taste-wise is the recent post about Egg Fu Yung. Right up there with that is The Patt Salad.
Here is where I am to nominate 10 other bloggers for for the Liebster Award. There are a number of blogs I enjoy reading and it is difficult to limit nominations to just 10. Here they are:
https://peachytalesplates.wordpress.com (Peachy Tales)
https://tastefulmuse.wordpress.com (Catrina Briscoe)
https://plus.google.com/u/0/101461473682573867881/posts (Ashwini Gowariker)
http://www.thecookingcoach.eu/blog-page/ (Karen Vivers)
https://sarahkitchen.wordpress.com/south-indian-recipes/ (Sarah Ammal)
http://www.junedarville.com/recipes-2.html (June d’Arville)
Now the questions for the nominees:
1. What is your favorite cuisine other than the one you grew up eating in your native country?
2. What is your favorite street food (or fast food) either in your own country or any country you may have visited?
3. What are your top three favorite fruits?
4. What was your least favorite vegetable when you were a child that you grew to love in adulthood, and what changed your mind?
5. If you were limited to eating the same dish for every meal for the rest of your life what dish would you choose?
6. What was your favorite dish when you were a child and is still your favorite?
7. What is your favorite kitchen utensil or appliance?
8. Is there a kitchen utensil or appliance you don’t have but wish you did?
9. What is your favorite hot beverage? Cold beverage?
10. What sights or attractions near where you live would you recommend a visitor from another part of the word see or experience?
The rules, if you choose to participate:
One- Thank the nominator
Two- Display award in post
Three- Nominate 10 other bloggers
Four- Answer the 10 questions