Mushrooms had been in the fridge for over a week safely preserved in a paper bag but were beginning to dry out. I also had a craving for something green, so decided to make crêpes with a mushroom and spinach filling for breakfast.
Ingredients for the whole wheat crêpes were:
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon powdered egg white
- 1 Tablespoon warm water
- 3 tablespoons white whole wheat flour*
- olive oil to lightly brush the skillet
* White whole wheat flour is made from a wheat variety which has a white outer coating (bran).
I mixed the egg white powder with warm water to an egg white consistency, then blended it with the milk, melted butter, egg, salt and flour using a hand blender. I let the batter rest while the mushrooms and spinach were being prepared.
Ingredients for the filling were:
- black pepper
- Neufchâtel cheese
The crêpes turned out super thin and the filling was perhaps a bit indulgent but delicious.
Between crêpes I gave the pan a quick spray or two of water to slightly cool the pan before re-brushing it with oil and cooking the next crêpe.