We have been enjoying the mustardy yellow squash relish I made the other day.
This time I made a sweet relish. The vegetables I used were:
- yellow squash – 3 medium size
- small onion
- garlic clove
- 2 red ripe jalapeños – seeds removed
- 2 green jalapeños – seeds removed
- 3 or 4 green Roma tomatoes – seeds removed
All the chopped vegetables were left to soak in saltwater for an hour or so.
While I was making the pickling solution, the vegetables were rinsed in cold water and were draining.
The ingredients for the pickling solution were:
- 1 cup raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Turbinado sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon agar agar powder
The solution was heated to a boil, the rinsed and drained vegetables were mixed in, then it was again brought it to a boil.
The relish is almost everything it was hoped to be. The vegetables are crunchy with the desired sweet and sour flavors. The agar agar, however, failed to thicken at all. Better not enough than too much. I may attempt to remedy that later.
The relish will be stored in the refrigerator.